Although Thanksgiving is traditionally a time for families, there are other markets that you can cater to that can bring you just as much (or even more!) success. Here are some ideas that can break you out of the mold of traditional Thanksgiving marketing strategies.
Remember those college holidays when you couldn’t go (or didn’t want to!) go home for the holidays and you gathered with your friends instead? Friendsgiving has seen a rise in popularity and is a Thanksgiving holiday celebration with friends instead of a traditional family-oriented Thanksgiving. There are so many fun marketing strategies you can do with this include
- Creating a fun social media campaign that celebrates Friendsgiving
- Creating themed products or services specifically targeting Friendsgiving (i.e., a Friendsgiving gift basket!)
- Creating a Friendsgiving-themed blog post that highlights your business offerings
Why you shouldn’t miss this: The market is already saturated with marketing strategies towards big family gatherings around the holidays. Break out of the mold by moving away from the traditional family-oriented marketing around the holidays. It will give you the opportunity to stand out!
Single or Small Family Thanksgiving
Not everyone has a huge family to spend Thanksgiving with due to distance, being unable to travel, work, and many other reasons. For every family planning a big Thanksgiving, several others could be spending the Holiday alone or with a small group. Here are some marketing ideas to consider. This can vary based on your industry, but the marketing strategy remains the same no matter what you offer.
- Creating specialized “Thanksgiving meals for one” menus for those going solo or with small families
- Pre-made small-portion meals! For those who want to go small and stay out of the kitchen
- Offering “day of” services such as mental health support for those who may be struggling with loneliness
Why you shouldn’t miss out on this: The idea of a family has changed so much in the last few decades. Many people are choosing to have Thanksgiving with immediate family or alone. The idea of a big family Thanksgiving isn’t the only one out there. Here is an opportunity to make those that dont fit into the mold feel seen!
Explore Ways That Other Cultures Celebrate
Although celebrated around the world, Thanksgiving is traditionally an American holiday. Consider incorporating cultures from other countries. You never know who could be missing home! Here are a few Thanksgiving-like holidays that are celebrated around the world that you can incorporate into your marketing strategy.
- Canada: Jour de l’Action de Grâce – An annual Canadian holiday and harvest festival, held on the second Monday in October, which celebrates the harvest and other blessings of the past year.
- Korea: Chuseok – A major mid-autumn harvest festival and a three-day holiday in South Korea celebrated on the 15th day of the 8th month of the lunar calendar on the full moon.
- Ghana: Homowo Festival – A harvest festival celebrated by the Ga people of Ghana in the Greater Accra Region. The festival is similar to Thanksgiving and is celebrated annually between August and September.
- Germany: Erntedankfest. – A German harvest festival that is similar to Thanksgiving in the United States. The English translation of Erntedankfest is “thanks for the harvest fest”. The festival is usually celebrated in September or October, depending on the region.
Why you shouldn’t miss out on this: The U.S. market is particularly diverse and filled with people of different cultures. It’s great to switch gears and celebrate other cultures!
Are you going to try any of these ideas and need help implementing them for your business? Contact us to get started.
AMW Marketing and Design is a boutique branding, web design, and marketing firm specializing in helping service businesses and non-profits upgrade their online presence. Ready to elevate your branding strategy? Contact us to schedule your free consultation and site audit.